Monday, February 16, 2009

quickly Igor, meet me in the Lab-OR-a-TOR-y!

Tonight I set foot in my workshop for the first time in a week, not counting the abortive half-hour attempt I made one night last week while much sicker. I am not back to 100%, but I do feel well enough to work on things, and if I have to sit in the house reading, surfing, playing games on the computer, or watching the glass teat one more night, I will go completely non-linear.

I am mostly working on two projects simultaneously right now: the mad scientist / steampunk light switch project, and the collet holder mounting frame for the mill.

I conferred with my learned colleague vis-a-vis his mini-table-saw for slitting the copper for the Tesla coil primary, and unfortunately we are in agreement that it will not serve. So it's back to the drawing board. Either I sheer it by hand (not gonna happen, as previously explained), spend a whole lotta hours making a means to shear it mechanically, or I buy all new copper sized appropriately. The latter option no longer seems so impractical, since the spot price for copper has plummeted during the last year, so I might actually be able to afford it now, especially now that I have proven to myself that I can get away with material that is 1/4 to 1/3 as thick.

I should get a quote. How much is my time worth?

No comments: