Wednesday, March 25, 2009

distortion-triggered spark gap switch project

Although I have a bad habit of starting projects without so much as a sketch to guide me, sometimes I find I need a drawing to keep myself out of trouble. Since I have access to SolidWorks now, and am trying to gain proficiency in it, I now tend to do either no drawing at all, or a 3D model + shop drawings. (for those not familiar with Solidworks, you design the part in 3D and any conventional drawings needed are generated - almost entirely automatically - from the model)

So here's some pretty pictures of the switch I'm working on now:
field distortion triggered spark gap - assembled

"exploded" view:
field distortion triggered spark gap - exploded view

That model took me less than two lunch hours to make. One of the ME's I work with could have done it in perhaps half the time, but as I said above, I'm still very much a beginner, and sometimes I have to hunt for functions or go look up how to do something that wasn't covered in the one introductory course I took.

PS: yes, the "bottom" is missing some screws. I didn't feel like going to the trouble to add them.

No comments: