Wednesday, July 28, 2021

WynnSky air connectors?

 When someone almost gets it right and it just makes you go... arrrgh!  I was looking for 3/8" size air connectors, with a 3/8" NPT fitting to go on my hoses... and I could not find a decent price on one, so I broke down and bought a box of ten, a lifetime supply for me, but whatev.

 Unfortunately, like a lot of air fittings, the bore on these turns out to be a little undersized.  That makes the tip nice and durable, but it reduces flow, and friends and neighbors hear this: if someone buys the 3/8" size instead of the more readily available 1/4" size, they are doing it because flow is important to them.  Making the larger sizes without making them full bore size is just... morally wrong.

 So I vowed to drill them all out.  This leaves the tip a little on the thin side, but they are steel, not brass or aluminum, and I don't use my stuff hard, so I figured I don't need the tips to be robust; I need the air-flow more.

 Well, just before coming indoors to write this - I just wore out a perfectly good - er maybe, it might have been a little on the dull side - 3/8" drill bit on one of these "cheap chinese fittings" and I was even using cutting fluid.  WTH?  The edges of the fitting had cut neat little grooves in the end of my HSS drill bit, and that drill bit had previously cut

 I hit the tip with a file and - mirabile dictu! - it's fucking hard, mates.  They hardened it.  Mind you, if everything else was correct this would be a very fine thing, since it means their tips won't get all scarred up - at least, not easily - when you drag them across your concrete floor, and the tip - alas - is where these things seal, so we don't want the tips getting scarred up.

 BUT THEY'RE UNDERSIZED AND HARDENED!

WAAAA!

 SO CLOSE TO THE RIGHT THING BUT NOT! >_<

 Right then, so I'm gonna replace my drill bit, because I suck at sharpening drill bits, it's cheap, and I want to replace all my bits with cobalt anyway... but methinks I'd better get myself a solid carbide drill or end mill or the like to run through these tips.

 After that, maybe I'll sell some of them on eBay as being something special, since by the time I get done with 'em, they will be. @_@

PS: I checked a few other of my 3/8" connectors, and a bunch of the 1/4" ones I no longer use, and none of them are hard.  Data point.

PPS: went to the www.winnsky.com website, and their certificate is expired.  Since I like my computers and home network to remain free of cyberaids, I do not visit sites without a valid certificate, so until they get their basic web shit together, I can't talk to them or ask them about these tips.

No comments: