Thursday, June 20, 2024

working in the shop again

 I'm getting some of my old mojo back, so I've started putting the (messy, neglected) shop back in order.

 Cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the mill, and swapped the rotary table for the vise (thank the gods for cheap hoists, that damned rotary weighs 130 lbs) so it is now ready to do some precisely located holes in a new, small project.  Unfortunately, I can't show or reveal that project.

 I also serviced the lathe, and in so doing, realized there was an oil reservoir on the saddle (for the cross feed mechanism) which I had never noticed, and therefore never added oil to.  Oops.  Filled that up until the sight glass showed it. D'oh!  Since it is a clapped-out 1970s SEIG (factory in Shanghai, manufactures Grizzly, Jet, and others) that was not well-cared-for before I got it, it's not the end of the world if I shorten one gearbox's life a little.

 There is a lot of other work that needs doing, including fixing a water supply valve in the bathroom, cleaning the shop vac which is full of stinky black yuck from last year... that kind of thing.

 At least I have an air conditioner, although it is on the small side for the space. The "white rubber roof coating" I put on the roof years ago disintegrated and blew away so the roof is black again (hot), and not insulated underneath because I'm lazy and hate working with insulation.  All the wiring I needed to put in the ceiling joists is done, it really ought to get insulated and rocked in... with my copious amounts of spare change... OTOH, the small A/C unit could easily handle 90ยบ days if the roof and ceiling were righteous.

 After this it will soon be time to revisit the 3D printer.  More as it happens.

No comments: