Saturday, August 8, 2020

strange dreams

 I took a nap (something I almost never do) and I dreamed (something I don't do enough of, because I use weed too often) that I had made some little shop tool for a lark and sent it to -- huh!  I guess it was a dream-amalgam of multiple people that I watch on YouTube: Abom79, OxToolCo, and ThisOldTony, on YouTube, and "he" mentioned it with pleasure on his channel.

 I guess I know why I had the dream; watching those guys has rekindled my interest in making things in my shop, rekindled my interest in machinist and tool-making skills, and they are the reason this blog has been rebooted.

 Well shit: with that obligation in mind, I now feel compelled to send one of them in particular (because one of them was more inspirational to me than the other two - something that he will appreciate and use. 

 Having a smoke in my shop just now, right after I woke up, I immediately thought of two shop-made tool ideas, neither of which I have ever seen anywhere, and both of which would be terrifically handy: one would be useful all the time, as it is a method of making a very fine adjustment attachment for an indicator holding arm.  This idea was partly inspired by the incredible amount of suck contained in the so-called "fine adjust" of the cheapo Harbor Fright magnetic base I bought yesterday.

 The second is a small Jacobs chuck with copper-faced, steel-backed jaws; to be used for holding work, not a tool.

 I know how to build the former, it's just fiddly. I don't actually have an idea yet for how to make the latter; but it's a neat idea, I'll have to think on it.  Also, I don't own (yet) the required tools and materials to make the indicator holder, but the materials are cheap and the tools are on my list already so when I have them, I can start working on it.

Sadly, I have a bad track record for finishing things - I hope I get it done while he's still alive. >_>

No comments: