Sunday, August 16, 2026

Crapsman tools and A Secret Technician's Tool

 You know, back in the day*, Craftsman tools weren't terrible, they weren't terrific, but they were serviceable, and they came with a lifetime guarantee which I have only rarely needed.

 But after Sears folded and the brand was sold off to a tool holding company†, their quality become more variable.  The tools are still made in the same factories, but there is no QC.

 Case in point, I managed to do this while tightening a screw... with one hand:

 Have you seen my arms?


  I am not a beast.


 Hardened too little or tempered too much, or both, I dunno, but I know it should not do that unless I put a wrench on it, and ya can't on this one, the shaft is round.

 So I am shopping for a new brand of screwdriver.  I like Wiha, but they're expensive.  Klein doesn't make large sets, just small sets intended more for field techs and the trades most-often-used sizes.  Too bad, as Klein are made here in the Oosa.  I am actively soliciting suggestions.  I balk at the cost of buying a full set at a time, I want to tell myself I won't be bothered by mismatched (in both quality and appearance) screwdrivers, and I can just replace the old ones as they break... but I hardly ever break tools.  Feh. 

 Maybe I'll find a charity recipient, some kid who is just getting started collecting tools.  Give them the old set, then I'll be without and will have to buy a new set. ;)

 ~≈{👁}≈~ 

 Now then, Subject Number B:
 Like most specialty tools or instruments, I learned about these from a job, early in my technician career.  They are familiar to many electronics techs.  The scratch brush pen, voila:

L-R: fiberglass, brass, nylon, steel

 These things have "brushes" of various materials which are about 4mm across.  The length, and therefore the stiffness and aggressiveness of each brush, can be adjusted with a knob.  They are typically most useful with the brush mostly retracted / maximum stiffness.  Nearly retracted, either the steel or fiberglass brush is mean enough to take the shiny off of a new love.  On the other hand, the nylon brush, fully extended, is very gentle indeed.  The kit of four (no name brand) is <$10 and worth every peso.

 These tools are mighty fine for cleaning corrosion off of primary consumer (AA, AAA, C, D, 18650, 9V, etc) battery terminals, and for cleaning varnish or copper oxide off of PCB edge connectors, getting various kinds of annoying cruft out of nooks and crannies of instruments or gadgets or whatever, for exfoliating your nose... (j/k).

 My first one I'd forgot about because it was in my fancy tool kit which got stolen.  There was only one brand offering them back then - Excelta - the Swiss precision pliers people, and there was only the fiberglass one available.  Even so, I think it was only $9 - $10 back then, very name brand.

If you work on "stuff", have a set of these in your toolkit.  You can thank me later.

___________________
* 70s, 80s, even 90s

† The Craftsman tool brand is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker, which bought the trademark and global rights from Sears Holdings in March 2017 for $900 million.

No comments: