My flashlight arrived, I noticed some things, and unsurprisingly, I have opinions.
Except for some niggling details, it's housing is more-or-less identical than the LD-20 it replaces*.
Niggling Detail #1: it's no longer possible to stand it on its tail cap.
Niggling Detail #3: I forgot to get my name engraved on it for free, and there is no longer a flat place for that on this housing, you have to settle for it being wrapped around a cylindrical part of the light. Fun fact: laser engraving does not harm Type III HA - it penetrates the outer HA coating, bleaches the dye out of the dye layer, but leaves the coating above it intact. Assuming it's done with CO2 and not a fiber laser. I don't know for sure about fibers.
That's it, that's all my gripes.
It came with a Li-ion "AA" size battery pack already installed. I did not know this because who reads fine print, so I ordered what is now an extra one. WTH, they are only $13. In this economy, that's not bad. It came with all the accessories which are typical - a lanyard, strong belt or hat clip, charging cable for the battery.
FWIW, Fenix's manufacturing is in China or Taiwai, but they seem to be controlling prices well.
Their offices are in Colorado and their product warehouse is in Monticello, Arkansas - 161 Market St, Monticello, AR 71655 - that's where stuff ships from.
Their showroom is in Littleton, CO. I've never been there, I don't know how long that's been there.
I think I might drive down there some time just for kicks.
The new light emits a maximum of 800 lumens in Turbo Mode. My old LD-20 in Turbo Mode was good for 160 lumens. Even 800 is not enough for a light bulb to light a room, but for a "mini" size light, it seems staggering at night. I'm a "more light is always better" kinda guy - usually - so I am content. I don't need my EDC light to be so bright it sets things on fire. Perhaps a camping light should do that. ;)
~≈{👁}≈~
____
* I need to dig the old light out of the "raygun parts" box to compare them side by side.
No comments:
Post a Comment