Tuesday, September 22, 2026

If I'd known we were going to jam, I'd have brought my kazoo

 Gothsigh, grumble, and gripe: Operations stalled.  Kinda literally.

 I haven't messed with the printer for a few days because I am avoidant - like, it's a personality disorder, man.

 What I've been avoiding, until today (until some mysterious switch in my head got flipped the other way) is a filament jam in the extruder.  These were unheard-of with PLA, despite a really aggressive (non stock) tensioner and aftermarket... rims (had to say it) I mean extruder wheels.  I could make it quite tight to overcome resistance in the filament feed chain... like ferinstance when the reel is inside a dryer with stupid filament ports, outside the printer tent.  PLA tolerates a lot of squeezing and knurling.

 I switched over to some new TPU replacement (maybe, we'll see) which is a high flexibility PLA.  If you can see it coming now, why couldn't I see it coming then?

 Yup: I forgot to untension the extruder so while trying to load filament, the too-tight drive rolls squished the PLA-flex into funny shapes all around and near the bourdon tube and drive wheel, everywhere but into the tube.  100% my bad.  A right little mess.

 Unfortunately, with the printer inside the tent, it is a neck-craning pain in the, er, neck, to do anything to the extruder - even just adjusting the tensioner, never mind unjamming plastic bits from a tight mechanism and after five minutes of poking and proding with tweezers, dental probes, and a No. 11 X-Acto blade all to no avail, I walked away for a few days.

 There's always other stuff around this dump our majestic mansion that needs doing, after all.  Like all the things we should have done the first ten years we lived here, when we had money.  Cough, but I digress. 

 I really do not want to move the printer, I especially do not want to remove it from the tent unless I simply can't get this done any other way.

 Now it is time to dig into the extruder again (hopefully I can avoid disassembly) then see whether this flex PLA stuff can even be shoved through a bourdon tube at all, or if it requires a direct drive extruder.

 And where did my filament cleaners go? 😬

 I got the extruder wheel unjammed, still need to remove the bowdens full of filament and empty them.  Around then my leg started hurting again, so I'm not going downstairs to fool with the printer until it feels better.

 I'm also not working on shop projects, both for that reason and because my paint won't arrive until tomorrow, and because fucking Mouser canceled my order for bizarre reasons their abysmal customer service either could not or would not explain.  Meanwhile, they still show them in stock, but they won't sell me any.  I am so done with Mouser.  And why is an $11 relay now $30?!?

 ~≈{👁}≈~

No comments: