![]() |
| That paint was harder than a bad day. |
I started with wet-sanding, but this went very slowly, even with nice, sharp, silicon carbide paper in a semi-course grit. Harrumph.
Next I tried mounting it on the mill and running a little (sized for a Dremel) convolute abrasive point over it.
Finally, I decided to get aggressive, and I put my largest fly cutter in there. That did the trick. Even so, it required multiple passes, and I had to touch up the 'ON', 'OFF', and the ®egistered Trademark symbol by hand-sanding with one of my paint-stirrer sanding sticks.
The enamel finish was dulled in a couple of places by my carelessness during the first attempts to do it, and I haven't decided what to do about that. First impulse is to mask off the shiny bits and just spray. Actually I think I will try wiping the dull spots lightly with acetone first. We'll see.
The next step is wiring up the motor drive panel and its relays with the cable from the drive proper. I probably won't start that today because I have pain-brain. I would probably cut the red wire instead of the blue wire and blow something up. 😂
I guess I'm competent enough to install the power cord, umbilical, and fuse holder into the box. I might replace the plastic power cord with some nice SO cable. I have to give the original cable a hard look. It doesn't move, so it's not as if it needs to be more flexible than the basic PVC, and the original power cord doesn't actually seem to have any age defects. Perhaps I will let sleeping dogs lie.

No comments:
Post a Comment