Friday, August 7, 2020

used tool "haul"

  Trying to make videos for y'all with just a phone is not working.  I've got a proper SLR which - in theory - takes HD video, but there seem to be some write problems with the card, which is - again, in theory - much faster than it needs to be to record HD video. My theory is that the card is not what it claims to be, and is in fact a fake.

 Regardless, I haven't got a proper camera (like a GoPro) nor even a tripod for the moment (coming, this year, I hope), and the whole shakycam thing isn't me; I don't like to watch it, so I shouldn't subject you to it, either.

 Instead, you get a photograph and a few thousand words.

 I went expecting to find a convolute abrasive (deburring) wheel, but didn't.  I had hoped to find a good quality indicator holder, but did not expect to, and I didn't.

Whups; I didn't include anything for scale... the surface plate is 18" x 24", the brass wire wheel is about 4" across,  the little torque wrench is about 8" long, and the dial indicator is 2.5" across.

 What I did find was (clockwise, from left):

  • a cheap Harbor Fright indicator holder with magnetic base, new in the box, for less than what Harbor Fright charges.  The "fine adjust" screw is a course thread, instead of a fine-pitch thread, so it's nearly useless - not a "fine adjust" at all, and the magnetic base is just strong enough to be used, not nearly as strong as any name-brand base... but that's typical Harbor Freight junk for you.  In this case, the real thing costs 10X what I just paid.

    In the photo above, I've attached a big old Federal indicator to it, just to show how it is used.  Come to think of it, I picked up that indicator at Charlies quite a few years ago, for about $10 IIRC.

    The position and angle of the arm and indicator can moved around a fair bit, and the magnetic base allows it to be put in a lot of odd but handy locations on mills, lathes and so on. It's not really intended for use on the surface plate...

  • a small (100 inch-pounds) torque wrench in great condition...

  • a real all-brass wire wheel (most wire wheels which look like this are not solid brass wire, they are brass-plated steel)...

  • a couple of cold chisels that just needed the heads dressed, a few bucks each. One of these may have been ground down (sharpened) so far that all the hard steel is gone, and might need to be re-hardened. Most folks won't have what's needed to do that, and I myself have had mixed luck, so we'll see.  They were cheap.

 While I like the folks at Charlies just fine, and I try to support small and local business whenever I can, I'm finding that with each passing year, their stock is a little shabbier, their selection a little more miserable, and over-all, the place seems less and less a used tool store and more like a junk shop.

The thing is, there aren't any alternatives that are better.

No comments: