Friday, August 7, 2020

where to buy used tools in Denver

 Frankly, it's hard to buy used tools without wondering whether they are stolen.

 In Denver, the most common place to dispose of stolen tools is Mile Hi Flea Market.  I personally hate the place and I never go there any more.  I know, with 75% certainty, that the last time I was burglarized and my air compressor was stolen, it was out at the flea market the very next day.  I once bought a large  (and incomplete) Craftsman brand set of taps and dies there, but that's it. And I regret that purchase.

 The second most popular place to "fence" stolen goods is pawn shops.  There are mechanisms in place intended to make pawn shops less attractive as disposal routes, but it still happens. Also, pawn shops usually know what their stock is worth, only rarely do they offer good bargains. Usually their shit is overpriced.  However, I once found an old L.S. Starrett (that's a name brand synonymous with quality) dial caliper in a pawn shop for $10, and it was a funny story...

 I was out with one of my bros, driving down Colfax (the main drag" of Denver, and the longest street in the USA, and home to at least three sketchy business districts in three different parts of the metro area, so a fair amount of pawn shops) and we were talking about this very subject - where to find used tools at affordable prices - and I mentioned pawn shops because at that time I had had one or two bits of good luck and hadn't yet sworn them off. My buddy expressed much skepticism, and as it happened that we were passing a pawn shop that very moment, I abruptly pulled over and suggested we have a look.

And inside we found those calipers, they were missing a locking knob which knocked the price down, but more to the point, they hadn't been priced -- some less-organized pawn shops don't price everything the minute it comes in the door, some will "wheel and deal" -- and it turned out the guy behind the counter didn't really know what dial calipers sold for, and he definitely didn't know that Starrett is one of the desirable brands of machinist's tools.  So I bought them for $10.  The used price should have been $40 - $50 at the time.  My brother was so surprised he was almost disgusted.  It was a fluke, and a moment of luck. It might also have been the last time -- 1989 or so -- that I ever set foot in a pawn shop, because I think they are disgusting, predatory businesses.

Probably the best place to buy used machinist's tools - hell, any used tools - is at estate sales.  Estate sales have lower prices than garage sales, and estate sales advertise what sorts of things make up the majority of the property - if there is a big record collection they will mention that, and if there is a bunch of tools or machinery, they will mention that too.  So there's no need to waste your time traveling to sales all over town - only go to the ones with the stuff you want.  But understand that lots of other experienced tool-users have the same idea, so you have to turn up on the first day of the sale, the moment they open. There will be a short line of other early birds just like you. There is sometimes a little rush for the good stuff on the first day.  You used to find estate sales advertised - along with descriptions of what was for sale - in newspapers, now you find them on dedicated web sites, such as: https://www.estatesales.net/ (an example I just found with a search engine, I know nothing about the site, or even if it's any good)

This morning I am going to run down to a place in Denver called Charlie's 2nd-Hand Tools, a place I've been before, where I've had decent luck.  It's a very low-rent looking, sketchy-looking old building, right in the middle of downtown, in between the shiny sky-scrapers, immense old churches, homeless shelters, and busy-busy big business office buildings.

 I've only been in two or three times, but I found good deals, and the folks running the joint seemed friendly and willing to do a little wheelin'-&-dealin' on prices if you're actually spending some money and not being a jerk. I've spent less than $100 in there so far, and I will take $100 in cash (I can't remember if they take credit cards or not) this morning, in part to limit my spending if I find too many things I want.  I am going with the purpose of finding a convolute abrasive wheel or two (looking for "New Old Stock"), which is where I found my last one at a good price ($10 for something that costs $85 new) but I will also look over all of their indicators, indicator holders, machinist's tools, and machine tool accessories, because there's loads of stuff I still need but don't have.

 A Noga base and arm would be a great find, for example, but I ain't holding my breath. A good "tenths" (.0001 divisions) indicator or dial test indicator would also be very welcome. I'd also consider cutters, tool holders, anything at all that I need and don't have if it's cheap enough.  Ooh, they just opened, and I have to work today too, so I'd better run.  I'll report back on anything I find.

No comments: