Thursday, August 6, 2026

Relegated To The Safety Shelf

  A few weeks ago, I was watching a video of a steam calliope fire, and one of the things a friend of mine and I both observed was A) a lot of running around at first indicating a lack of any practiced plan, B) insufficient fire extinguisher size, type, and quantity, and also C) the fellow who eventually gets the gas turned off seems to have been unsure where his hot gloves were.

 It got me to thinking about the (rather nastier than propane) welding tanks I have in my shop, and the one inert gas bottle of shielding gas which is nevertheless pressurized to around 1,000 PSI until it is nearly empty...

 I have an A-B-C extinguisher in the shop now, and I really should also have a CO2 extinguisher.  But the latter are expensive!

 It occurred to me that I have a pair of too-heavy high heat gloves I never use.  I think I received them with my cutting rig, not sure.  All I needed was a shelf mounted above the fire extinguisher at the entrance of the shop...

I tinted the "airship" braces with a torch,
clearcoated with acrylic, then masked that
and painted the remainder gloss black.

The fancy finish isn't obvious on the
finished article, but I know it's there.

 ~≈{👁}≈~


No comments: